Flavourful recipes for butternut donuts prepared by the mother of one of our employees. Tested and approved unanimously by all the Paris-Halal team.
These donuts are traditionally prepared in Portugal with pumpkin for end of year celebrations. Here the butternut (Butternut squash) whose flesh is firmer and velvety replaces the pumpkin, the more stringy.
Given the success they had and because it’s so good, we probably will not wait for the end of the year to try again, and finally if the mother of our colleague agrees, that goes home …
Here is the recipe she graciously provided.
Fried sweet butternut
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (40-50 donuts)
- 500 g butternut
- 200 g flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 packet of yeast
- 30 cl milk
- 2 pinches of salt
- 150g caster sugar
- 10 g of cinnamon (optional)
- cooking oil
Preparation of the recipe:
- Peel, core and cut the fairly regular cubed butternut.
- Boil 1.5 liters of water in a pan and dip the flesh of butternut. Cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooked flesh and drain the time that the maximum amount of water has passed. The then mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add a pinch of salt, stir and let cool a few minutes.
- In a large bowl or a bowl, add the mashed butternut and add flour gradually and yeast while stirring vigorously.
- Then add the eggs and gradually dilute the milk into the mixture. The batter should be sufficiently resilient, if required adding a little milk or flour.
- Let the dough rest for a moment.
- Meanwhile, begin to heat the oil and prepare a dish with sugar and cinnamon.
- Once the hot oil, make dough dumplings with two tablespoons and pour gently into the frying.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, turning donuts.
- Once browned, remove them with a strainer and let drain.
- Then roll gently into the sugar mixture and cinnamon and put them in a paper towel possibly covered dish to remove excess oil.
Ideally, these donuts are eaten hot, and they retain their crisp but it can also be eaten warm or cold. It is also possible to heat the minutes any conventional oven rather than microwave.
People, who do not like cinnamon, can only use the caster sugar.
Do not hesitate to try and come and tell us what you think.